Integrating OpenAI into your SaaS platform can bring a wealth of benefits for your customers. Imagine automating repetitive tasks, improving decision-making, and even forecasting talent needs. In this article, inspired by a discussion with a Polish HR-Platform SaaS vendor, we’ll dive into how OpenAI can be leveraged by software development companies, startups, scaleups, SaaS vendors to revolutionize the HR operations.
Note: If you want to have a look at the general capabilities,limitations,pricing of OpenAI on Azure, ChatGPT, GPT-3, you can read this previous post: Unlocking the Potential of OpenAI and ChatGPT on Azure: A Guide for Startups and Digital Natives Companies –
First, let’s remind ourselves what are the most common HR Systems Functionality:
- Recruitment and Employee Screening
- Company Benefits and Compensation
- Performance Evaluation
- Employee Relations
- Employee Records
- Learning and Development
- Career Planning/Succession Planning
- Competency management
So, let’s get into the ideas of what OpenAI can do for your HR Platform. I am trying to test the ideas with ChatGPT wherever possible, and stress it a little bit, to see if it can really bring good results.
11 Ideas for OpenAI + HR SaaS platforms
1.Resume screening: OpenAI can be trained on a large dataset of resumes and job descriptions to automatically screen and identify resumes that are the best fit for a particular job opening.
Example: I ask from ChatGPT to read my Linkedin resume and identify the roles I would be a better fit for.
Here is the prompt I give:
And then, ChatGPT gives me an ok-ish reply, mentioning more or less the information I have put in my resume, but in a list. Not impressed but still valid info.
Here is what I get:
Now, let’s give it something more difficult as a test.
I am NOT a developer and I would be a terrible fit for a Chief Developer position. However, since I do have a technical background and I have been working with devs for many years, I thought I would be sneaky and try to fool ChatGPT, into believing that I am a fantastic fit for a dev position.
And the results are….
So, I couldn’t fool ChatGPT and OpenAI. Indeed, it correctly pointed out that I give no evidence of real hands-on experience in developing software. Well done ChatGPT, thnx for destroying my developer career…
2.Interview assistance: OpenAI can assist in the interview process by generating interview questions based on a job description, or by analyzing the candidate’s responses and providing feedback to the interviewer.
Example: Give me 10 interview questions for someone applying for a Chief Information Security Officer Position in a Bank.
I like the questions and I also like the fact that it created a few ones that are domain-related (i.e the one with the regulatory requirements for PCI-DSS). I would happily use these questions as inspiration in my next interview process, to help me create better and more targeted questions to candidates.
3.Candidate matching: OpenAI can be trained on a dataset of successful hires and their job descriptions to predict which candidates are the best match for a particular job opening.
Example: So, as said earlier, I am not a dev. But my brother is. So, I am getting both our resumes from Linkedin and give them to ChatGPT. I then ask from it to analyze both resumes, and let me know which one of the two candidates is a better fit for a developer position.
And the results below are again correct. ChatGPT found out that my brother is the correct candidate and also justifies this. It also explains why I am NOT a good fit, despite having experience related to developers. Good job again ChatGPT; at least the job stays within the family..
4.Chatbot for candidate support: OpenAI can be used to build a chatbot that can answer common questions from candidates, such as information about the company culture, benefits, etc.
Example: I ask ChatGPT for a list of the main benefits for employees at Microsoft
I then follow up with a question regarding what is ESPP and Matching 401k contributions. And here are the results…
Now, you could go even further and try to create a full-fledged functionality HR Chatbot, which ideally could have the following as functionality:
- Employee Self-Service: Employees should be able to access information about their benefits, pay stubs, vacation time, and other HR-related information through the chatbot.
- Onboarding: New employees should be able to use the chatbot to complete onboarding tasks, such as filling out paperwork and completing compliance training.
- Time off and Leave Management: Employees should be able to request time off and check the status of their leave requests through the chatbot.
- Benefits Enrollment: Employees should be able to view their benefits options and enroll in coverage through the chatbot.
- Employee Directory: Employees should be able to search for contact information for other employees in the organization through the chatbot.
- Employee Feedback: Employees should be able to provide feedback and suggestions to HR through the chatbot, with the option to make suggestions anonymously.
- HR Policies and Procedures: Employees should be able to access HR policies and procedures through the chatbot, such as company code of conduct, diversity and inclusion policies and emergency procedures.
- Employee Recognition: Employees should be able to access information and submit nominations for employee recognition programs through the chatbot.
- Chatbot should be able to understand natural language and answer questions related to employee benefits, policies and procedures, and other HR-related topics.
- Chatbot should be able to integrate with other HR systems to provide accurate and up-to-date information, and also should be able to route complex queries to the appropriate HR representative.
5.PR and Internal Communication Messages: OpenAI can help you to provide your customers with custom-made AI-generated messages, in the tone you prefer.
Example: I ask from ChatGPT to create the message that a Bank CEO would send to all employees, announcing layoffs to the organization. Certainly the toughest message to send in an organization.
Here is what ChatGPT got:
6. Business English: OpenAI can help with writing sentences related to HR procedures, in a good business english language.
Example: Write 5 different sentences to inform a candidate on withdrawal via email
7. Communication with Candidates: Writing emails to communicate a specific message to candidates.
Example: Rewriting in proper business english a complete email message about informing a candidate on a non-selection.
Example: Please translate the previous message in Polish
9. Create AI-generated Job Descriptions: OpenAI can create job descriptions for your HR people, that can be posted on Linkedin.
Example: I ask from ChatGPT to create a job description for the Chief Information Security Officer position in a bank.
Here are the results, pretty solid to become a full job ad after a few edits from the hiring manager:
10.Interview scheduling: OpenAI can be used to automate scheduling interviews with pre-selected candidates, by using natural language processing to understand the availability of both the candidate and the interviewer.
There is no built-in outlook/calendar integration provided and you have to build it. You can then use the NLP to find the availability from both sides (HR and candidate)
One could argue that there are easier ways to find common calendar availability though, that might work faster than the NLP one. Not sure on what works faster, need to see and try a real NLP solution on that, and haven’t seen anything similar yet in the market.
11. Competency Based Management Support
A few HR systems, provide support for a competency-based approach for the organization, and in that case a competency dictionary is necessary.
In the below example, I ask from ChatGPT to write a behavior-based competency description for “Leadership”.
And then, I ask for a questionnaire that can be used for self-assessing the leadership competency level. I get open-ended questions but then I am trying to get them into a multiple-choice type of questionnaire.
And the multiple-choice results:
I hope these ideas provide a spark of inspiration to start looking into OpenAI/ChatGPT and how to integrate it in your SaaS HR Platform.